So. I've decided to forfeit my secular music and my Facebook for the entire month of April. This is day 3.
I'm going into withdrawal.
I've got the shakes.
Seriously, I'm like those addicts that you hear about that say, "I can quit annnnytime I want..." and then, not 48 hours later, I'm seizing friends by the collar, imploring, "Please man, just one more hit! I only gotta log in for, like, two minutes, and that's all I need! Do me a solid! I need a fix, maaannn!"
It doesn't help that I'm getting notifications in my e-mail, telling me that friends have sent me Facebook messages and stuff.
And it would just figure that, as of April 1, every secular song I've ever known is stuck in my head. All of them. At the same time.
(What? No, this isn't my iPod...I'm holding it for a friend...)
I felt the need to give these things up for the month, because I've come under the conviction yet again that I've forgotten my calling to be "in the world, not of it", and have instead grown to love the world just a bit more than I used to. That is a very serious thing indeed. So, in what may seem to be a silly measure (at least, according to some friends of mine, it is), I have decided to cut out my two primary worldly influences for a whole month. It may be even longer, if I feel it's what I need to do...but for the time being, I plan on returning to my Beatles CDs and Facebook wall-to-walls on May 1st.
If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell.
~Matthew 5:29-30
Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world--the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life--is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world is passing away, and the lust of it' but he who does the will of God abides forever.
~1 John 2:15-17
(^those are my memory verses this month.)
..........
Be utterly blessed this week, dear readers.
Quintessentially yours,
~Ashley Michele~
Thursday, April 03, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
yeeeesh girl. FB was a sacrifice for you...the music has to be KILLING you. :-P Praying for you!! Don't grow weary in well-doing... :-)
~Jo
I think one month is slightly arbitary... don't you?
You are "like" those addicts? You ARE one... you sent me a mail trying to justify going back to Facebook. Don't lie.
But that isn't an issue, dear. You'll have a lovely time. Not to worry...
I think you should just cave in, you weak person.
Don't worry... you're doing absolutely marvelously! You'll get through it, just watch!
P.S I've got Bi-Polar disorder.
- A friend.
Go for the sacrifice, I wish you all the good luck with many prayers, so that I can be inspired to follow those beautiful verses too and save myself from the worldly love that God forbids so strictly.
Take care,
A friend in need of inspiration.
Ashley, i am beyond proud of you for recognizing where your heart is, and taking steps to resolve it. to restore the most important relationship you will ever have, is critical for the life He has intended for you, for the life you want to lead. i love you more than you will ever know.
Dad
Ashley, this is Miss Kay in Austin. I just found out about Laura. I cant believe she is gone, I wish someone would have let me known. I love you all and miss you. Tell you Dad I`m sp sorry. My e-mail is storm71347, Please contact me. Kay
Ashley,
Good for you for recognizing this and doing something about it. It is so hard to not let "the world" infiltrate our lives because much of Christianity today looks so like the world. We have been called to be "set apart" and sometimes to be set apart looks weird to those lookin' in. Sacrafice is not an easy road to walk, but it is one that is so very worth it. Blessings on your month of sacraficial living! :) You can do it sweetie! :)
Hey Ash...good for you!! It's awesome that you have such a heart for the Lord that you can discern when you need to focus on Him and not be under the influence of the world. I'm sure the Lord will bless you abundantly for your sacrifice. Praying for you that the rest of this month (or however long you feel the need to continue) will go quickly. :)
I'm sending Joanna my email address, and I'm gonna have her email it to you, in case you want to email me sometime. I'll also get your's from her, if you don't mind. :)
Keep pursuing the Prize, Dear Friend.
Your Darling Josiah. =)
Let me add to the kudos. I know you're well over half-way through the month. But keep hanging. It's correct steps of faith like this that turn worlds upsidedown.
huzzah to fruitcakery
Post a Comment