Thursday, November 23, 2006

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

Ah yes, 'tis Thanksgiving. I hope you all have sufficiently stuffed yourselves and are at this very moment dozing blissfully deep in the triptophan-induced coma to which every man, woman, and child is entitled at this time each year.

Amanda has managed to take over the kitchen again. I was allowed to help make two things this year. LOL. She "let" me layer the ingredients for the scalloped corn, and she let me stuff a few of the devilled eggs. See, Amanda--ever since she was old enough to hold a spatula--has been in charge of the kitchen. It is her turf. And come Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, what have you, she is right there, apron-clad and wearing her game face. She'll typically recruit one or two sioux chefs to do the little trifling duties like chopping the onions and shredding the cheese so she can concentrate on the important stuff like assembling the strata or seasoning the bird.....although she inevitably winds up taking it all back and doing everything on her own anyway. ;-)
She is not, as a rule, a perfectionist. But in the kitchen, she is most definitely type A.

This year Amanda and Nana put together a fantastic dinner for fourteen. Stuffing, and broccoli rice casserole, and from-scratch cranberry sauce, and yeast rolls, and scalloped corn, and sweet potatoes, and two kinds of turkey, to name just a few items from the menu. Y'all ever fry your turkey? Euphoria, my friend.
Oh man, and the uber-creamy pumpkin pie Misti made?? Euphoria².

Actually, as it turns out, the girls managed to make enough food to feed about thirty. But we had fourteen sitting down for dinner. The ten of us, plus Nana, and Grandad and Misti, and Uncle Ryan.
Erinne was afforded every opportunity to show off....to grin big enough for her four teeth to show.....and to shake her head "no"....and to clap....and to wave....and to attempt to blow kisses and sign the word for "please".....and to say "Mmmm" when she was offered (solid!) food....and to say "da-da" and "na-na".....and to walk while an older sibling held her hands.....and to stand up for a full second-and-a-half before toppling to the floor. All the guests were, of course, duly impressed. As were her doting father and siblings. *grin*

All in all, 'twas a lovely dinner. :-)
..............................

I realize that I am totally stating the obvious here, but I don't care.

This was our first Thanksgiving without Mom.
Today marks our first holiday season without Mom.
On the 14th, Davey turned 12 without Mom.
Yesterday, Dougie turned 10 without Mom.
Tomorrow, we'll go Christmas tree shopping without Mom.
We'll decorate the house without Mom.
We'll light the tree and tie all the bows without Mom. Even though that was always her job.
On December 6th, I'll turn 19 without Mom.
On the 3rd and the 10th, I'll sing in the Christmas choir without Mom.
Amanda and I will go shopping for Christmas presents without Mom.
We'll smell candles and look at pretty baskets without Mom.
While we're out, we'll stop at a coffee shop and drink espresso and eat Cranberry Bliss Bars without Mom.
At night, we'll all drive around and look at Christmas lights without Mom.
We'll open the Christmas presents without Mom.
We'll read Luke 2 without Mom.
We'll stay up late and watch the ever-lame but still-required New Years Rockin' Eve without Mom.
We'll drink ginger ale and wear dorky party hats and bang pots and pans on the front porch at midnight without Mom.
And we'll remember it was the night she started coughing...


And I don't guess I had any real purpose in saying all of that...but it's what I'm thinking about. So there.
Would you all please pray for us while we do it?
..............................

On a lighter, completely random note, for any of you who were wondering what a red-headed chick from Pasadena actually looks like....here she is:



Hee. Amanda, Nana, and I went for a visit to Miss Pam's house last week. And we tried on wigs. And it was fun. As soon as I get my pictures back from Wolf, I'll write a blog entry on the rather interesting dinner we had. Hehehe....that was fun....
And I'll post more pictures of the wigging-out (Me as a blonde?).
..............................

Have a happy holiday, everyone. Even in trial and heartache, we have much to be thankful for. Yaweh is good!!
Blessings on you all,

~:~Ashley Michele~:~

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

You gave a perfect description of our Thanksgiving dinner and family time together. And I think you expressed what all of us were feeling/thinking about your Mom very well. We do need our Lord's help in the next few months especially! Also, thanks for playing your guitar for me! You're getting really good! Love you,

Anonymous said...

lol nice pic!
And Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

you made me seem like I am mean, and I'm not you were not helping thats why I had to do it.

there I left a comment, now you can stop bothering me about it.

Anonymous said...

HI AMANDA!!!! YIPEE!
Okay, so....you look like a Judd in that wig. Wow. hee

I am praying for you Ashley dear. Missing your Mom for you and with you!

~Joanna

But He giveth more grace....

Anonymous said...

Hey Ashley! Sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving with all that food! sounds delicious!! I committed the sin of gluttony yesterday. yikes. You look so young in that pic. of you in the wig!! how funny. :) I don't know if I should ask this or not, but I am curious...how did your mom die? I will most definitly be praying for ya. I can't even imagine the holidays (or any other time for that matter) without my mother. I will pray...

Love and prayers,
Ashley Renee

~Ashley Michele~ said...

I look like a Judd??? Huh??

'Manda has deigned to grace us with her typographical presence!! (yes, I've been on her case to leave a comment here. LOL!)

Ashley, I don't mind if you ask. Totally okay. :-) You can find the short version in this entry:
http://ashmichele.blogspot.com/2006_07_01_ashmichele_archive.html

Love you all!!

MsJennBug said...

Hey Ashley, Already had ya'll in my heart and prayers as this season started. Do we get to be blessed to see pix of those four baby teeth and seconds of standing?

Anonymous said...

Like, as in....Wynonna Judd? are you not familiar with AnY country music names? Lucky thing. I envy you.
"Swing batta batta"
*shivers*
I loathe and despise country.

~Ashley Michele~ said...

Ohhhh. Gotcha. Hee. Yes, my Daddy was a DJ for country music stations for AGES...of course I know who the Judds are! I just was a li'l slow in getting the comparison, that's all! :-)
I echo your loathsome disdain for the genre. Country music is icky. I make small exceptions for its cousins, bluegrass and gospel...but only in small doses. ;-)

Anonymous said...

country is amazing!!! how dare you diss country! lol jk. people either love it or hate it. fortunately i love just about any type of music (as long as the words are able to be heard and are not screamo). anyways.... you are amazing ashley. i don't know what i would do. you have no idea how much of a witness you are. the last part of your entry almost made me cry. if you ever need a shoulder to cry on, im here.

luv ya,
jill

Anonymous said...

Hey Ashley!
It does sound like you had a great thanksgiving. I know It had to be hard without your mom though. Prayin' for ya!
Happy Trails,
Autumn

Anonymous said...

I read your 1st blog entry the other day...it was so sad. I can't even imagine how hard that must have been and still is. I'll be prayin'!

I DESPISE country music too. ugh. ick. anyways...you have a great week!

~Ashley~

Courtney said...

So now I have a 'blogger' account to go along with all my others. Woot! The pics you mentioned were cool.

I'm glad thanksgiving went so well for your family; you guys will be in my prayers this holiday season!

God bless.

~Ashley Michele~ said...

Cory! Thanks for your prayers. They mean a ton. You have no idea.

Maybe I dreamed it...but I thought you disliked the name Courtney??

Anonymous said...

I love you girl! I will pray for you and ask for peace in this difficult time. I don't know if what you feel goes away but it has been 18 years since your grandma Anne passed and I think about most of the same things each year. You just have to find a way to keep up the traditions and remember how good they made you feel. I share them with my family now. Thanks for sharing those private thoughts with us all. Peace be with you.
Aunt Leigh Anne

Springblom said...

Dear girl, certainly you have my prayers. I'm thinking of you and praying for a little bit of joy this year... inspite of the pain.

:huggsss::

-Chantel

JamesHofsiss said...

This post still hurts my heart so much...

<3